Sunday, November 15, 2009

Music for Sunday - King of the Beats: Jack Kerouac

 Note to readers:  I have this all wrong!  The documentary that the featured song comes from is not King of the Beats; it's something else I'm not able to find quickly and I's got stuff to do! This will have to do.  In any event, at least the whole post is connected around Jack Kerouac, albeit loosely.
Sorry 'bout that.


 A song by Ben Gibbard (Deathcab for Cutie) and Jay Farrar (Son Volt).

If the end of the video clip were not cut off, the narrator would have gone on to say that this song is from the DVD documentary King of the Beats, about the life and work of author, poet and painter Jack Kerouac (1922-1969).
 

The link above will take you to the documentary in its entirety, I believe. It's slightly over an hour long but well worth it if you're a Jack Kerouac fan or if you have nothing better to do.  ;-)  I watched the whole thing not for lack of other things to do (which I have too many of) but because I like to learn the stories of creative people, particularly those with an immigrant background. Jack Kerouac was the son of French-Canadian immigrant parents and grew up in Lowell, Massachusetts. But honestly, I started to read On the Road when I was in high school in the mid-seventies and I never finished it. He's on my list for Nova Scotia summer reading in 2010.

Happy Sunday
Love,
Pagan Sphinx

4 comments:

  1. Lovely. Whilst I listening my daughter had Spongebob on the telly and there was a flute playing on the cartoon that went wonderfully well with this song. They should think about adding some flute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SG: hmmmm...now you've got me wondering what the Spongebob episode was! :-D

    Glad you enjoyed the song and very good to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed it too and the book. I know you'll enjoy reading it sitting on the porch of the rainbow house that overlooks the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan: thanks for the comment, which resulted in a smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say you've been here.

I am sorry to say that I don't publish anonymous comments unless I know you through your initials, first name or blog name. I don't publish comments that have ANY kind of commercial or 'for sale' links.

You are Invited to Scroll Down! :-)

Please feel free to scroll down and look at the followers list, badges, photos and tons and tons of great links!

Search This Blog

In Memory of Bobbie

In Memory of Bobbie
Almost There

ARTLEX Art Dictionary

Kick Homophobia in The Butt: Add Your Name to the List of Supporters

Kick Homophobia in The Butt:  Add Your Name to the List of Supporters
click photo

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

It's Only Love

It's Only Love
See More Elopment Pictures here
Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Million Doors for Peace

Lines and Colors

Lines and Colors
A New Art Resource I Just Discovered!

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst
"When the Amherst sphinx styled herself a pagan, she meant she didn’t believe in the biblical God. What sort of deity, if any, she did believe in is hard to pinpoint."
-- Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

National Protest Against Prop 8

National Protest Against Prop 8

My Daughters

My Daughters

Code Pink

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Love and compassion is the Universal religion. That is my religion.
~ The Dalai Lama

This site is certified 30% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Blog Archive

Fair Use

I believe that the images and writing posted here fall under the "fair use" section of the U.S. copyright law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107, as they are intended for educational purposes and are not in a medium that is of commercial nature.

Labels

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin