Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fabulous Blog Award

I've recently ventured out farther into the blogosphere and have discovered some very fine blogs. Gobs of blogs. Largely, the new blogs I've been reading have been introduced to me by people who like to take pictures and post them to various theme memes such as Ruby Tuesday and Shadow Shot Sunday, to name my two favorites.

Honestly, I don't know how I ended up at Thorne's World but as I did, she had just moved out of blogger and into her new space on Word Press. First of all, I immediately admired her courage in doing this, as Word Press is exactly where I should be renting. But I'm scared to lose all of my blog possessions. And when I went to Thorne's World and was immediately treated to a laugh in just the first sentence of the first post I read, I knew that I would want to have Thorne as one of my bloggy friends.

So, friends of the Pagan Sphinx, please meet Thorne from California, whom I am only just getting to know but already think highly of. I'm honored to have been recognized by you with this award.

And today when I read my comments I was invited to Thorne's World to pick this up:



I love the yellow dress. I could never pull off yellow, not even when my hair was deep brown. Maybe because my skin is light but an olive undertone. And the heels are something my size 91/2 feet could never tolerate. Though I do have a thing for nice shoes, especially strappy sandals. I don't care for hats and I only wear one when I absolutely have to in scortching heat or heavy rain or bittere below zero temps. Oh and the dog. I always think I'd like to have a sassy little dog one day - isn't that some sort of little terrier she's walking? They're cute and jaunty and everything but my experienes with them have not been good: too barky and annoying and nippy. I have never been that skinny, either. Especially at this stage of my life.

I would not have written so much about the blog award picture if it didn't love it, which I do. It's very 60's Paris. And I loved getting from Thorne, my new blog bud, who, as it turns out is a blog bud of Betmo, who also recieved this award because she is awesomelly well-informed and tells it like it is. Bet (whom I have taken to called Betty in my head) is also a really nice person and dedicated blog bud.

Now. For the rules:

I'm supposed to name five addictions:

1) blogging
2) taking pictures
3) carbonated spring water
4) collecting home renovation ideas (but rarely following through)
5) that first sip of coffee in the morning

Now I'm supposed to give the Fabulous Blogger Award of the lady with the little dog to five other bloggers who are not only deserving but will also play the 5 addictions game. It's really a win-win situation, if I think you're deserving you don't have to play the game to get the award. See? I'll still like you even if you don't play the game, in other words.

Steve at Color Sweet Tooth: a consumate artist, Steve is also a highly thoughtful commentator and kind and generous soul. You should check out his paintings. I actually own one and if I ever get around to affording the mat and frame for it, I will post a photo of it hanging on my wall. Meanwhile, you can view it here. It is even more beautiful in person, I assure you. If you like that, also please have a look at this one. It was inspired by my daughter and daughter-in-law's wedding at San Francisco City Hall. I still get chocked up when I think about how much this painting means to me and how grateful I am to know someone who was able to capture so beautifully the love between two young people just embarking on their future together. Thank you, Steve for your art and your friendship.

Hey, Harriet deserves this award. Tracey from Brisbane has treasures gallore about life and art in her city and she's a very fine photographer so her readers are treated to spectacular and creative photos of her environment. Tracey also hosts Shadown Shot Sunday, which can easily boast about the talent and dedication of a good number of participants weekly; all of whom are very intelligent, articualte and friendly. I highly recommend you visit, except that you will be swept off your feet by the beauty of Brisbane and then you won't stop chewing your partner's ear off about how you have to go there some day. Like me. ;-) And tracey, I'm thrilled that you've been coming by the Pagan Sphinx as well as "the eye". I enjoy your comments very much. Oh, and I love the "random surrel generator" thingie you have on your blog. I look forward to it. :-)

Bobbie at Almost There. She tells lots of stories about her Norman Rockwell past and her children and grandchildren but she's not stuck in the past and that's obvious by the posts she writes on the state of our nation and the world and her caring and concern for the earth and its people. I admire this lady a whole lot and I can't go a day without at least checking in quickly to see what she has to say. Bobbie also takes great photographs which she posts to various memes like Ruby Tuesday and Sky Watch Friday. In fact, it was through Bobbie's blog that I first discovered Sky Watch. And also how I met this wonderful blogger:

Dianne at Forks Off The Moment. What can I say? I adore her. She's sweet and very funny; down to earth and also creative and political and oh, so very cool. And she's a native of the greatest freakin' city on earth -New York. Dianne has an exceptional knack for writing posts that draw people like moths to a flame. And her photos are really good too. Check them out on Do You See What I See.

Susan and co-blogger Crow of Phantsythat. Susan is another amazing, imaginative, whimsical, creative, loving soul. The artwork she shares is so special and dear and lovingly rendered, that I'm always touched by what I see there and so grateful that I am fortunate enough to view her wonderful paintings and hand-painted silk scarves and purses and jewelry. Oh and did I mention how she can write, too? The kind Susan is well-traveled and shares many vignettes, adventures and pursuits through her other blogs: Adventures Ink and Baby Days a little illustrated story that I fell in love with on first read. Do have a look. Don't miss a thing.

11 comments:

  1. All of them are great bloggers and great people! and truly deserving of a fabulous award! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pagan, how very sweet of you to think of Crow and me when you wanted to bestow this wonderful award. I don't know the blogs of all the others you've chosen but I will visit them.. on the weekend.

    It's late now and I've been late to bed too many nights this week already. The silk painting has been going on again and there just aren't enough hours in the day to visit, work, work, cook and read.

    Thank you again and all the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some rockin' bloggers. I'm in love with Forks (and Manny). I love finding excellent new blogs! Thanks for the links, luv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on that very well deserved award! Thanks so much for passing it along to me. And I don't even have to play along with the rules? Wow, how cool is that!?! I'm hopeless with rules. This is so very sweet, and means a lot to me that you enjoy my blog. As I do yours. Both of yours! It is an adorable award. Yes, the dog looks like a little yappy terrior of some sort. One that most likely insists on stopping to urinate every 5 seconds. Yap, pee, yap, pee, yap, pee...I love all dogs but those types of dogs require a very special kind of love that I struggle with giving ;)

    A couple of those other award recipients I already know & like a lot, so I'm looking forward to checking out the others. Oh & I hope you do manage to take a trip out this way soon to visit my little part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pagan, congratulations to you! and many thanks for passing this award on to me. You are much too generous in your praise. I do know most of those you've mentioned here, and agree wholeheartedly. I will check out those I don't know.
    Isn't it the cutest award? And it's yellow! That's the newest meme I do. I agree about the shoes. and the skinny girl. I used to look like that, but it's been a looonng time. I prefer BIG dogs, but this one will do.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 9 1/2 size feet too!! Big feet, big balls girl ;) one more thing we have in common.

    I love that image too. What a waist! I didn't have a waist that narrow at birth. I love hats but alas I have a big ole head - they never look right on me.

    thank you for the award, for always being so kind and loving and supporting to me - it means so much

    thornes already came to visit - I adore her just from her comment and I am now off to visit

    congrats to all -

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lovely lady with the jaunty dog really classed up the place, doncha think? :-)

    Di: hehehehhehe...I'm also pretty good at brandishing a purse, if hard-pressed. :-D

    Thorne: I don't always play well with others, either, Thorne. It depends on who the "others" are, I guess.

    I wanted to mention that I thought the floor came out great! Is that for the new studio? I'm looking forward to checking out your other blogs. I hope to this weekend.

    Bobbie oh, you deserve the praise! I love your commitment to blogging; how you are consistent with writing about everything that is important to you.

    Susan: Is Crow okay with all of this? :-/ just checkin' ;-)

    Hey, Harriet: I always feel like I'm yelling a little when I say that - a good natured yell, though. It's a great blog name. :-) Enjoy the golden lady award.

    Sylvia: I'll be by later for Skywatch. :-)

    Diva: I like your new avatar. When I read it, I always say: there is the head of a poised woman! :-)

    Have a good Friday, everyone. I think I promised an art post but I'm already feeling how tired I am two hours before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, PS! The tile is in the temporary studio. We ran out of funds for the real studio. (It has a handicap accessible bathroom and a sterilization room), but alas still needs wiring, insulation, a bit of plumbing and drywall. :-()

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award, Gina! And the people you awarded it to certainly deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Applause all around! We could all use the positive thinking, right??!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say you've been here.

I am sorry to say that I don't publish anonymous comments unless I know you through your initials, first name or blog name. I don't publish comments that have ANY kind of commercial or 'for sale' links.

You are Invited to Scroll Down! :-)

Please feel free to scroll down and look at the followers list, badges, photos and tons and tons of great links!

Search This Blog

In Memory of Bobbie

In Memory of Bobbie
Almost There

ARTLEX Art Dictionary

Kick Homophobia in The Butt: Add Your Name to the List of Supporters

Kick Homophobia in The Butt:  Add Your Name to the List of Supporters
click photo

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

It's Only Love

It's Only Love
See More Elopment Pictures here
Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Million Doors for Peace

Lines and Colors

Lines and Colors
A New Art Resource I Just Discovered!

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst
"When the Amherst sphinx styled herself a pagan, she meant she didn’t believe in the biblical God. What sort of deity, if any, she did believe in is hard to pinpoint."
-- Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

National Protest Against Prop 8

National Protest Against Prop 8

My Daughters

My Daughters

Code Pink

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Love and compassion is the Universal religion. That is my religion.
~ The Dalai Lama

This site is certified 30% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Blog Archive

Fair Use

I believe that the images and writing posted here fall under the "fair use" section of the U.S. copyright law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107, as they are intended for educational purposes and are not in a medium that is of commercial nature.

Labels

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin