Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Artist of the Week - Émile Bernard

Émile Bernard
by Toulouse-Latrec

Émile Henri Bernard (April 28, 1868April 16, 1941) is best known as a Post-Impressionist painter who maintained close relations to Van Gogh and Gauguin and, at a later time, to Cézanne.read more of this article here


French painter who is sometimes credited with founding Cloisonnism (see Pont-Aven school; Synthetism). He was noted for his friendships with such artists as Vincent van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, Odilon Redon, and Paul Cézanne.

My apologies, for these are quite out of order by date. In some cases I don't know the date assigned to a painting and with others, I'm afraid to mess with their placement on the blogger layout which is notorious for giving me trouble.



Self-portrait with portrait of Paul Gauguin
1888.


In the same year, Gaugin painted this counterpiece

click this one for larger viewing size



Breton Women

Breton Women
(Van Gogh's version, after Bernard)

below:

Iron Bridges at Asnières
1887

Brother Scene
(for Vincent)


The Artist's Grandmother


Breton Peasants


click this one for larger viewing size

Apres le bain, les nymphes

1908

click this one for a bigger viewing size




Madeleine au Bois d'Amour
(Madeleine was the artist's sister. This painted when he was merely 2o years old)


The Harem

Breton Woman and Haystacks

Still Life with Flowers

5 comments:

  1. All rather excellent. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I confess, I like Toulouse-Lautrec's and Gaugin's portraits of him more than I like his works. I guess he had a fetching personality. Lovely paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love love love these. I have been influenced by Bernard for most of my painting life. His Breton Women, the first one in this post, with the delicious orange pinkish sheaves, along with some paintings by Munch ("Ashes"!!!) made very powerful impressions on me, and continue to affect my work. Shapes, composition, color choices - I can't get enough of some of these pieces.

    Some here I have never seen before (Harem, Still Life with Flowers, his Grandmother, les nymphes...) and I love the progression many of these show towards the more abstract, flattened style he achieved later with Gauguin and Van Gogh.

    I think he is under appreciated, particularly given his influence on so many of the artists around him, including Cezanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very eclectic artist, in fact, because his workarts can be so different. Watching the nudes? then the Breton women, I don't get the impression that it is the same hand that has painted both. Different inspirations, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like
    to say cheers for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the
    fantastic work.
    my website - payday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say you've been here.

I am sorry to say that I don't publish anonymous comments unless I know you through your initials, first name or blog name. I don't publish comments that have ANY kind of commercial or 'for sale' links.

You are Invited to Scroll Down! :-)

Please feel free to scroll down and look at the followers list, badges, photos and tons and tons of great links!

Search This Blog

In Memory of Bobbie

In Memory of Bobbie
Almost There

ARTLEX Art Dictionary

Kick Homophobia in The Butt: Add Your Name to the List of Supporters

Kick Homophobia in The Butt:  Add Your Name to the List of Supporters
click photo

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

It's Only Love

It's Only Love
See More Elopment Pictures here
Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Million Doors for Peace

Lines and Colors

Lines and Colors
A New Art Resource I Just Discovered!

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst
"When the Amherst sphinx styled herself a pagan, she meant she didn’t believe in the biblical God. What sort of deity, if any, she did believe in is hard to pinpoint."
-- Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

National Protest Against Prop 8

National Protest Against Prop 8

My Daughters

My Daughters

Code Pink

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Love and compassion is the Universal religion. That is my religion.
~ The Dalai Lama

This site is certified 30% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Blog Archive

Fair Use

I believe that the images and writing posted here fall under the "fair use" section of the U.S. copyright law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107, as they are intended for educational purposes and are not in a medium that is of commercial nature.

Labels

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin