Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Homage To Blue

Blue Train, John Coltrane, Blue Note Records

Blue Nude, Picasso


Blue Nude - Matisse



Album cover for Blue, Joni Mitchell Reprise Records, 1971


Blue...songs are like tatoos, you know I've been to sea before
Crown and anchor me or let me sail away..
~ Joni Mitchell



Amerian Heritage Dictionary

Blue:

blue (blōō) Pronunciation Key n.
The hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between green and indigo, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 420 to 490 nanometers; any of a group of colors that may vary in lightness and saturation, whose hue is that of a clear daytime sky; one of the additive or light primaries; one of the psychological primary hues.


Blue Iris


"Now that I'm free to be myself, who am I?
Can't fly, can't run and see how slowly I walk.


Well, I think, I can read books.


"What's that you're doing?"
the green-headed fly shouts as it buzzes past.


I close the book.


Well, I can write down words, like these, softly.


"What's that you're doing?" whispers the wind, pausing
in a heap just outside the window.


Give me a little time, I say back to its staring, silver face.
It doesn't happen all of a sudden, you know.


"Doesn't it?" says the wind, and breaks open, releasing
its distillation of blue iris.


And my heart panics not to be, as I long to be,
the empty, waiting, pure, speechless receptacle.


-Mary Oliver

3 comments:

  1. This is, every letter and pixel of it, bluetiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this comment came to me via email:

    Hi
    Thanks for visiting my blog. For some mysterious reason, most of the time, I cannot comment on blogger. Something wrong with my PC setting.
    I just visited your blog, and it is funny as I had saved a few images to make sometime a "blue" post! I do have by the way this Joni Mitchel record.:)
    Banksy seem to be the painter of our century, as much for his messages than his "illegal" way of doing it. Decency seems almost "illegal" these days.
    I might not be able to comment often on your blog, I just wanted to tell you that I'll be visiting it from now on.
    Regards
    Homeyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That piece held me so tight I thought I was suffocating.

    Thank you for sharing.

    I used to have Cunning Runt on my sidebar, I now have you and thanks to that I again have RunningCunt, and I got an email from Homeyra, just this past week, too. The butterfly effect is working... it would seem...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say you've been here.

I am sorry to say that I don't publish anonymous comments unless I know you through your initials, first name or blog name. I don't publish comments that have ANY kind of commercial or 'for sale' links.

You are Invited to Scroll Down! :-)

Please feel free to scroll down and look at the followers list, badges, photos and tons and tons of great links!

Search This Blog

In Memory of Bobbie

In Memory of Bobbie
Almost There

ARTLEX Art Dictionary

Kick Homophobia in The Butt: Add Your Name to the List of Supporters

Kick Homophobia in The Butt:  Add Your Name to the List of Supporters
click photo

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

Northampton Prop 8 Protest

It's Only Love

It's Only Love
See More Elopment Pictures here
Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Million Doors for Peace

Lines and Colors

Lines and Colors
A New Art Resource I Just Discovered!

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst

Emily Dickinson - The Belle of Amherst
"When the Amherst sphinx styled herself a pagan, she meant she didn’t believe in the biblical God. What sort of deity, if any, she did believe in is hard to pinpoint."
-- Gary Sloan, "Emily Dickinson: Pagan Sphinx,"

National Protest Against Prop 8

National Protest Against Prop 8

My Daughters

My Daughters

Code Pink

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Love and compassion is the Universal religion. That is my religion.
~ The Dalai Lama

This site is certified 30% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Blog Archive

Fair Use

I believe that the images and writing posted here fall under the "fair use" section of the U.S. copyright law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107, as they are intended for educational purposes and are not in a medium that is of commercial nature.

Labels

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin